Thursday, March 04, 2010

Seymour Papert

Just finished Seymour's book "The Children's Machine" and posted my notes on my Edu 21st page, see link over there --> . Lots of really good stuff that we should have evolved towards a lot faster.He wrote it in 1993, and here we are 17 years later with the fallout of "Leaving More Children Behind than Ever" , having followed on the heals of the earlier "America 2000".

Hopefully the new administration will sponsor more variation and less hot air than the last.
In the course of writing my notes I came across this wonderful talk given by Seymour in 1999 for the Diversity Task Force convened by Vice President Al Gore. Check it out...I love this guy.


Turns out he is working still in Maine with at risk youth ( similar to the institution I was working for earlier RFK Children's Action Corps ) (and whose school unfortunately now is without teachers for technology, music, art, media due to state budget cutbacks)

No comments:

Post a Comment